Friday, August 12, 2011

PROGRESS FEEDS PROGRESS




Every day I am overwhelmed by the vastness, complexity and wonder of the world around me. It is surprising that a man’s brain holds such immense power. To change, to create and to destroy, is a great gift that is bestowed only to man. The world has been designed by numerous such men, all of them great visionaries, leaders and philosophers. When I was young, my aim was to be such a Man of Power, a Man of Strength. A man like Alexander the Great, like Leornado Da Vinci, like Issac Newton and like Martin Luther King. These were men who created a dynasty, a change so strong that they had to be remembered and revered. Their legacy lives on in the heart and minds of people to this day. In the same vein, my biggest dream was to be remembered for something special, something so eternal that my name would be cherished for years after I died.

Now, these were just childhood dreams. Dreams that a lot of little boys and girls have. As I grew older, I looked deeper and thought much more about these ambitions. The caliber of the men that I aspired to be was definitely of the highest order. But I had made a mistake in what they contributed to the world in an overall sense. I realized that no man is bigger than the human race, and that no single man can define generations forever. It is all about progress. Each man builds on another man’s work, on his art and on his desire. If it was not for men like Galileo and Nicolas Copernicus, Newton would have never formulated his three laws. If it was not for the audacious moves of Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King would have never fought racism so successfully. I realized that the people I aspired to be like had just done their small bit in the constant process of improving human life. They had brought the end result, but the process had been going on for centuries. They just did their small parts in a big big way. Thus, I try to think of myself as a man who will do small things in a big way, I can just do my part and not worry about the rest. Cause the rest will take care of itself.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice way to express your views...Good to know your stated desire is still brimming albeit with a certain realization. Hold on to it and work to get it, one small action may be all it takes ...Anyways when all the great men you spoke about did what they did, they never knew they would become immortal, it was mere passion and conviction which guided their actions.

    ReplyDelete